And after a full day of viewing, Christmas lunching (yes...we know...but we were exploring the idea of incongruity in humour...) and rigourously working (and challenging!) several traditional philosophical approaches to the realm of humour, we cobbled together our own philosophy of humour - and with it, some answers to what makes us laugh:
- The sharing of a laugh
- The unexpected twist or surprise that catches you off guard
- A taboo or two...
- Absurd, extreme and/or politically incorrect situations
- The simple act of seeing another person laughing
- Situations that you can see yourself getting into
- Finding humour in our own mishaps
- Just hearing the name of a comedian or sit-com that has made you laugh before
- Shocking content that can only be delivered by a certain type of woman
- Comfort of the known
- Not so much a joke as a situation - usually a tense one - that you observe with another, and both see the funny side in.
Thanks to all of you who made this such a good experience. We are already gathering names of other female comediennes in preparation for "Funny Girls, The Sequel."